Tourism Sustainability Grant
State of Washington Tourism (SWT) offers a Tourism Sustainability Grant program. Local governments, Tribal Nations, destination organizations, and other nonprofit organizations that support travel and tourism in the State of Washington may apply for this grant program. The purpose of the grant is to foster safer, more inclusive, and sustainable visitor experiences in the state.
View 2023 Grant Recipients.
View 2022 Grant Recipients.
About the Tourism Sustainability Grant
- Fosters safer, more inclusive, and sustainable visitor experiences in the State of Washington
- Applicants may request up to $30,000 in grant funding based on project eligibility
- Project eligibility may include capital projects, new festivals and events, outdoor recreation, wayfinding improvements, and more
- The total funding available for the Tourism Sustainability Grant program is $125,000
Eligible applicants include:
- Local government
- Tribal Nations
- Non-profit organizations registered with the Washington Secretary of State’s Office
- 501(c)(3) organizations and other 501(c) organizations that support travel and tourism
Full Tourism Sustainability Grant Description
The application period is currently closed. Please check back for updates.
To apply, Washington-based tourism stakeholders must complete a thorough application with details on project objectives, longevity, and budget. Though not required, applicants are strongly encouraged to match a portion of their grant request with cash or in-kind contributions.
SWT will release grant funds as a lump sum to awardees upon approval of their grant applications. Awardees will be expected to submit a project evaluation which should include a final budget, proof of spending, photos, and a written account of how grant funds were used and their impact on travel and tourism. Grant funds from SWT will not pay for staff salaries, debt, or interest payments associated with eligible projects. Please also submit a W9.
Download a Budget Template
See the grant evaluation rubric
Webinar & FAQs
SWT hosted a webinar for potential applicants on Aug. 10, 2023. The webinar provided an overview of the grant program, grant writing advice, and examples of grant projects from previous applications. It also highlighted key dates, funding availability, eligible applicants, as well as expected outcomes, and reporting requirements.
View Webinar Slide Deck
SWT has also created an FAQ document to help answer applicant questions.