SWT Grant Programs
State of Washington Tourism (SWT) will oversee two tourism development grant programs for tourism sustainability and technical assistance. The application period for tourism development grants in 2023 is scheduled for late summer.
View 2022 Grant Recipients here.
SWT Grants Overview
Both programs require Washington-based tourism stakeholders to complete a thorough application with details on project objectives, longevity, and budget. Though not required, applicants are strongly encouraged to match a portion of their grant request with cash or in-kind contributions. Applicants are also strongly encouraged to collaborate with local destination marketing organizations and other tourism-related partners on eligible projects.
If awarded grant funding, the grantee must submit all contracts/contractors involved with each project to SWT for review and approval. The grantee must acknowledge the grant program and include the SWT logo in material associated with the grant project. SWT will also review and approve this material.
SWT will release grant funds as a lump sum to awardees upon approval of their grant applications. Awardees will be expected to submit a project evaluation which should include a final budget, proof of spending, photos, and a written account of how grant funds were used and their impact on travel and tourism. Grant funds from SWT will not pay for staff salaries, debt, or interest payments associated with eligible projects. Please also submit a W9.
For those looking to learn more about these grants, SWT hosted a webinar on Aug. 18, 2022. View the webinar recording using the link below.
From the webinar and additional questions received, SWT has also created an FAQ document to help answer applicant questions.
Eligible applicants for the Tourism Sustainability and Technical Assistance grants include entities that operate in the State of Washington and directly support travel and tourism:
- Local government
- Non-profit organizations registered with the Washington Secretary of State’s Office
- 501(c)(3) organizations and other 501(c) organizations that support travel and tourism
Tourism Sustainability Grant
- Fosters safer, more inclusive, and sustainable visitor experiences in the State of Washington
- Applicants may request up to $30,000 in grant funding based on project eligibility
- Project eligibility may include tourism entrepreneurship, new festivals and events, outdoor recreation, business districts, and main street associations
- The total funding available for the Tourism Sustainability Grant program is $200,000
Full Tourism Sustainability Grant description
Download Tourism Sustainability Grant Application
Technical Assistance Grant
- Subsidizes the cost of industry-specific expertise for tourism-related projects that stimulate economic development for destination communities
- Applicants may request up to $10,000 in grant funding based on project eligibility
- Eligible projects for grant funding may include design plans for tourism infrastructure, marketing expertise, and economic impact studies
- The total funding available for the Technical Assistance Grant program is $70,000
Full Technical Assistance Grant description
Download Technical Assistance Grant application
Grant Application Timeline
SWT will accept applications for both grant programs between August 15 – September 15, 2022. A review committee of industry experts will evaluate the leading grant applications and SWT will announce award decisions by September 30 via email. Grant funds pertaining to both programs must be expended by August 1, 2023. Awardees will be expected to submit a project evaluation on October 1, 2023.