RESPONSIBLE OUTDOOR TRAVEL SUMMIT
UPDATE: For 2023, the Responsible Outdoor Travel Summit will be held following the State of Washington Tourism Conference, Oct. 24-26, in Yakima. See details and register here.
Responsible Outdoor Travel Summit Details
Join travel, outdoor recreation, and thought leaders for the Responsible Outdoor Travel Summit at Bell Harbor International Conference Center in Seattle on October 13, 2022.
Presented by State of Washington Tourism with initiative and foundational support from the Port of Seattle, the summit will focus on promoting responsible travel to ecologically and culturally significant regions in Washington while protecting those assets and enhancing the traveler and host experiences.
The summit, which will immediately follow the State of Washington Tourism Conference, features a full day of topical presentations and panel discussions, a travel/outdoor media panel, an evening welcome reception, and networking sessions.
- Presentations and panel discussions on lessons learned on over-tourism, improving the outdoor recreation experience, representation in the outdoor recreation experience and more.
- Media panel with travel and outdoor journalists focusing on responsible travel
- Keynote address by Jeremy Sampson, CEO of the Travel Foundation, an international sustainable tourism organization dedicated to ensuring that tourism has a positive impact on destinations
Registration & Pricing
Registration is $100 and includes full-day program, reception and all meals during conference. Government rate $75.
Summit Schedule Overview
View Full Program
Thursday, Oct. 13
7:30-9 a.m. Breakfast/networking
9 a.m. Opening General Session
10-10:55 a.m. Panel discussion: How Much Tourism is Too Much Tourism?
11-11:55 a.m. Panel discussion: Improving the Recreational User Experience
12-1:15 p.m. Luncheon & Keynote Address: Jeremy Sampson, CEO, The Travel Foundation, Inspiring and Challenging Better Destination Management
1:30-2:25 p.m. Media Panel: Trends in Responsible Outdoor Travel
2:30-3:25 p.m. Representation in Outdoor Recreation
3:30-4:25 p.m. Closing Conversation
4:30 p.m. Closing Reception
Speakers and moderators
- Hilary Franz, Washington Commissioner of Public Lands
- Greg Dudgeon, Superintendent, Mt. Rainier National Park
- Representative Cindy Ryu
- Rob Smith, NW Regional Director, National Parks Conservation Association
- Jaime Martin, Exec. Director of Governmental Affairs & Special Projects, Snoqualmie Tribe
- Chevon Powell, Founder, Golden Bricks Events and Refuge Festival
- Sophia Dannenberg, mountain climber and Washington State Parks Commissioner
- Ryan Miller, Executive Director, and Libby Halpin Nelson, Senior Environmental Policy Analyst, Tulalip Tribes Treaty Rights Office
- Amy Nesler, Stewardship & Communications Manager, San Juan Islands Visitors Bureau
- Tommy Farris, Owner, Olympic Hiking Co.
- Jon Snyder, Senior Policy Advisor, Office of Governor Jay Inslee
- Jaime Loukey, Interim Executive Director, Washington Trails Association
- Toshiko Hasegawa, Commissioner, Port of Seattle Commission
- Fred Felleman, Commissioner, Port of Seattle Commission
- David Blandford, Executive Director, State of Washington Tourism
Lodging is available at the Hilton Seattle Airport & Conference Center, 17620 International Blvd., Seattle, WA 98188.
The Hilton is the venue for the State of Washington Tourism Conference, held October 11-12, and attendees of either conference will receive a discounted rate. A shuttle will provide transportation from the hotel to the summit venue.
Book Your Room
Highlight your company’s offerings in front of tourism professionals from around the State of Washington by sponsoring the conference. Sponsorship opportunities include conference registration and recognition.
Contact David Blandford at email@example.com to learn more about sponsorship opportunities.